Monday, February 27, 2012

Rex Lee


Did you know that PAC and the LGBTQ Center are bringing Entourage's Rex Lee to UC?

For those of you unfamiliar with Rex Lee, he is an openly gay Asian-American actor who graduated from Oberlin Conservatory of Music here in Ohio. He came out to his parents when he was 22; his mother kicked him out of the family home, which would be the start of an 11 year estrangement from his family.

Rex Lee found fame in the HBO comedy series Entourage, where he played Lloyd Lee, the gay Chinese-American assistant to Ari Gold (Jeremy Piven). His character was on the receiving end of many jokes about his sexuality and race.

Rex Lee admitted that there were also occasional jokes aimed at his sexuality and ethnicity from members of the crew behind-the-scenes. "I try not to let it bother me," he told TMZ in 2009. Being a minority due to both his race and sexual orientation, Rex Lee is a Hollywood anomaly.

These days, Rex Lee stars in the new ABC sitcom Suburgatory; his character Mr. Wolfe recently came out to the entire student body in the cafeteria. He doesn't mind playing another gay role: "When I was first coming out, all my friends told me I couldn't pass for straight or bi so I shouldn't even bother trying. So I didn't bother trying."

Come to the Rex Lee event at 7p.m. this Wednesday, 29 February in TUC's Great Hall!
Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/215659801851355/

XOXO

–Ben
Social Media Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment